Editor's Note: This piece was originally published on June 7th, 2011
(I pulled this idea from Blue Milk and her posts about and for her kids)
Its been nearly 6 weeks since you were born, even though it feels much shorter than that. I want to keep track of the things that make the deepest impression on me since this time with you is flying by so fast.
So here are two lists: one of my five favorite things so far, and one of my five least favorite things.
5 least favorite things:
- Losing my temper when you cluster feed in the early mornings
- How paranoid I am that you will stop breathing
- The diaper rash I caused by switching diaper brands
- How sometimes you can only be comforted by me
- How fast you’re growing
5 15 most favorite things:
- Your milky smell
- The way you resemble a little bird when you root around, looking for a nipple.
- How desperately you want to be able to hold your head up
- How surprised you look when you manage to do so
- How you wrinkle your brow when you’re trying to focus on my face
- Your little hand resting on my belly when you nurse
- Your baby smiles when you dream
- How you snuggle on me or your mommy
- When you make what your mommy calls your “turtle face”
- how soft you are
- How relaxed you get when I hold you
- The little glimpses I get of your voice
- How vocal you’ve been from the moment you touched my skin
- How absolutely in love with you I am
- how fast you’re growing
*Not hir actual name, but the name that I will be using online when talking to or about hir.