Thursday, October 26, 2006

Erroneous language

Ok, new rage, but short.

I have been accused of becoming anti-Semitic because of my view on the Israel-Palestine conflict (Israel is imperialistic and over-reactionary. My view is akin to my view on militarism in general. It amounts to: STOP BEING ASSHOLES AND KILLING PEOPLE! Anyway, back to rage, sorry to slow you down.) A few problems with this term.

-First of all, I am technically a Jew (I do not practice, I was raised with exposure from my mothers side, but I was never bat mitzvahed) and I am not a self-hating Jew. I don't know enough about that part of my heritage to hate it.

-Second, the term "Semitic" technically includes Arabs, Jews and any other group that can be traced back to the area around the Levant and the Arabian peninsula.

So, my issue is mostly the assumption that Anti-Semitic is for Jews and Jews only, when technically it includes the very people who I wish Israel would stop attacking. If you're gonna insult me, at least properly use your words. You already look like an asshole, but at least you will look like a less stupid asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment